POSITION TITLE: PASTOR OF COLLEGE MINISTRIES
LOCATION: ST. LOUIS SUBURB, IL
SALARY RANGE: COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
DENOMINATION: SOUTHERN BAPTIST
WEEKLY ATTENDANCE: 2000
MinisterSearch is delighted to offer a great position for the right person to serve as a Pastor of College Ministries at the original campus of a multi-site church in a great suburb of St. Louis in Illinois. This church campus is suburban, contemporary, and caring. Their vision is to be a church where people want to move closer to God, closer to each other, and closer to the disconnected. And, with a nationally known University, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville–in town, there is a fantastic ministry opportunity to carry out this vision.
This church is all about serving -– they have many active, supporting volunteers that love to serve others. They do not use church lingo, and they are very actively focused on reaching the unchurched. Their worship music is geared toward the 20-35 age group—they believe the church should be culturally relevant. And, this makes a great draw for the college-age student.
Focused on connecting with people where they are and providing an environment where the unchurched can hear that Jesus cares about them and died for their sin, the wonderful people at this church believe that giving their best honors God and inspires people. This focus creates a great opportunity for the more than 14,000 college students that attend SIU to be loved and ministered to by the great people at this church.
This multi-site church has a total of about 2000 in weekly attendance. The right person to be Pastor of College Ministries will have a heart for serving college-age students at the church’s suburban, contemporary site. Additionally, a four-year degree is required, as well as experience serving on a church staff, preferably with youth or college students. This is a great opportunity to come into this friendly, caring, and supportive church where you can make a real impact in the College Ministry with a lot of help and support from the church and its members.
SIUE is a nationally recognized university. And, while Edwardsville, Illinois, ranked #1 in best cities in Illinois for young families, offers everything you could need or want, St. Louis is only about 20 minutes away. Ministering to college students is a fantastic opportunity to reach out to young people who are in a new situation, facing many new things, and needing some attention, love, and guidance. Add in the warm, friendly people of the church who love to serve, and it’s a wonderful opportunity for the right person to live, raise a family, and have a great impact on many young people.
- Be an example of Christ’s love to the college students, as well as in all areas of life.
- Implement mission, vision, and values of the College Ministry.
- Recruit, develop and empower student and adult leaders to lead campus ministry.
- Implement a leadership strategy that meets the students where they are and encourages, guides, and pastors them.
- Work with student leaders to implement relational evangelism on the university campus.
- Pursue and meet with students in their own environments—activities, games, etc.
- Create a strategy that fosters growth in students’ faith and reaches the unchurched.
- Serve as a mentor, shepherd, and support to students.
- Meet with student leaders regularly to provide guidance and encouragement.
- Create opportunities for students to grow and serve through mission trips, community projects, etc.
- Create an environment for college-aged students in the summer to engage others, continue to study the Word, and serve others.
- Create a place for college students at the church where they feel welcome at all times.
- Develop, communicate with, inspire, and lead volunteers, both students and adults.
- Oversee and administer budget for College Ministries.
- Perform weddings, funerals, baptisms, etc., as necessary.
- Attend and participate in regular staff meetings.
- Possess a Christ-centered heart with a love for college students and a desire to see them come to know the Lord and grow in their faith.
- Be an ongoing role model and possess a servant’s heart.
- Must be able to relate to all types of personalities.
- Ability to meet students wherever they are in their faith walk and be especially sensitive to the unchurched/unbelievers.
- Must have strong leadership, administration, and outreach skills.
- Be able to train leaders and equip volunteers.
- Effective communicator (verbal, written, and body language).
- Successful experience leading and motivating teams.
- Ability to prioritize, manage and accomplish work in a timely manner.
- A self-starter, highly energetic personality, strong work ethic, and flexible; motivator, communicator, visionary.
- Minimum of a 4-year degree from an accredited university/college.
- Minimum of 3 years in ministry, with demonstrable success with college and/or youth ministry.
- Communicate effectively with different personalities, varying backgrounds and environments; active on social media.
- Must be an excellent leader, mentor, and shepherd.
- Must enjoy the same types of activities as college-age students; experience with planning large group events.
Please make sure you meet all requirements and qualifications. If you do and are interested in learning more, please apply here.
For a complete listing of all open positions, click here.