POSITION TITLE: Children’s Ministry Director (B-5th grade)
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with Experience
WEEKLY ATTENDANCE: 1000+
An opportunity for Children’s Ministry Director candidates at an evangelical, multicultural, inclusive church that desires their children to be taught the love and grace of Jesus and to have their parents supported and equipped to be their primary spiritual guides. With over 1000 in weekly attendance, the church is constantly trying to create an environment where people say, “. . . this is a place I can bring my non-Christian friends.”
This church desires to see families practicing conversation, liturgies and service together in order to shape their identity and purpose as God’s children in the world. Along the way, they fully expect the process of childhood and parenthood to furnish plenty of “spiritual formation” opportunity – surrender, confession, humility and brokenness on the road to resurrection, forgiveness, grace and abundant life. And, they believe, what better way to do this than together, creating a supportive community that can be shared with their neighbors and friends.
This person will be a vital member of the family ministry team, helping children experience God, supporting parents, equipping teachers, and inspiring investment in our community life. Through personal and team leadership, the Children’s Ministry Director will help live creatively into the church’s values of hospitality, quality curriculum, intergenerational worship and service, and parent partnership. The goal is for their kids to have a firm foundation in what they believe and why, while having grace and being able to be okay with people who believe differently about any number of things. It is important for parents to understand that their job is to be the primary spiritual guide for their children.
Located in the heart of San Francisco, this city is an uber-professional, fast-paced, highly educated, mobile environment. People work hard during the week and play hard on the weekend in the gorgeous natural landscape of the Bay Area and beyond. It is a largely secular city and practices tolerance on many levels like spirituality, personal expression, and creative entrepreneurship. The city is continuing to become much more child-friendly place as more families choose to stay here to invest and raise their children. And, many of these are white collar professionals finding themselves transformed as they follow Christ to renew the city.
This church is one of the only ones in the city that has a family ministry focus. If you are called to minister to the precious children in a church that truly accepts and loves everyone, in a city that is largely unchurched, then this position offers a great opportunity!
- Design, equip, and coordinate the people and programming best suited to support the spiritual formation of children (birth-5th grade) and their families within the growing church campus community
- Continue and further improve a safe environment that is fun, creative, and worshipful so that kids begin and grow in a relationship with Jesus
- Communicate consistently with parents the vision of the children’s ministry and provide resources and support that encourage parents to facilitate their children’s spiritual growth
- Pastor parents in a manner that foster their trust of, partnership with, and commitment to the Ministry
- Build positive, spiritually encouraging relationships with children and families
- Coordinate and make any necessary improvements to Sunday morning procedures
- Recruit, train, and mentor a community of teachers and parent volunteers
- Plan and oversee children’s events, i.e., VBS, Harvest Festival, etc.
- Effectively communicate resources and events with church and family community
- Generate and implement ways for the children/family community to foster belonging and to increase the relational connections between children and other adults in the church community
- Collaborate with family ministry team on church-wide events
- Collaborate with counselors and staff to provide need-based resources for parents
- Embrace and be accessible to the entire church family
- Coordinate with youth director to develop “transitional” opportunities as children and families move through different life stages
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings
- Minimum of a 4-year degree from an accredited College or University
- Demonstrable success in experience in Teaching or Educational Ministry experience; child/adolescent development education a plus
- Possess the love of Jesus for children and be passionate about Children’s Ministry
- Strong theological foundation
- Be a fun-loving, ultra-friendly, team player who can work well with other staff
- Proven ability to recruit, equip and mentor volunteers for ministry
- Ability to assess and implement engaging, age-appropriate programming/curriculum
- Skills to continue and enhance an atmosphere where children are eager to go to church
- Relates to, interacts with, and has a heart for parents, as well as the ability to achieve their full support for and enthusiasm about the ministry
- Energetic self-starter who has a strong work ethic who can get things accomplished within a flexible environment
- Creative, forward thinker, and planner who is an organized multi-tasker
Please make sure you meet all requirements and qualifications. If you do and are interested in learning more, please apply here.
For a complete listing of all open positions, click here.