POSITION TITLE: Minister of Discipleship
LOCATION: Mobile, Alabama
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with Experience
DENOMINATION: Southern Baptist
WEEKLY ATTENDANCE: 900
MinisterSearch is excited to present a great opportunity for pastors who enjoy having an impact in many areas of the church. As the Minister of Discipleship at this growing, traditional but innovative church of 900, you would be overseeing and leading a comprehensive program of education and discipleship. The position offers myriad possibilities for the person who, among other qualities, is a great leader, mentor, ‘people person’ and has successful experience as a ministry leader at a thriving church.
The environment is relaxed and friendly. Many of the people have served at the church for years and wouldn’t think of leaving. An extremely important characteristic of the staff is their culture of collaboration. They work together to envision the future, make specific plans, and carry out agreed upon projects. They are committed to improvement in all areas of ministry, which requires innovation; and they welcome that.
The people of the church are friendly and focused on serving, and the right person for this position will demonstrate those same attributes. Although the church is located in this upscale area close to downtown, there are attenders from all over Mobile, as well as the eastern shore. And, they are growing and continuing to attract young families. This is definitely the old south—southern hospitality and southern gentility.
The church is located in a lovely community in Mobile, Alabama. Founded in 1702 as the original capital of the Louisiana Territory and nestled along the beautiful Gulf of Mexico, few American cities boast a history as rich as Mobile’s. The birthplace of Mardi Gras in the United States, the area’s sheer beauty, historic and modern architecture, and famous seafood continue to impress visitors and locals alike. As one of the Gulf Coast’s cultural centers, Mobile has several art museums, a symphony orchestra, a professional opera, and a professional ballet company. And, for fun in the sun, you are only an hour away from the beautiful beaches of southern Alabama and the panhandle of Florida. They also love their football, so there are also lots of opportunities for the sports enthusiast.
If you are a bright, energetic, talented, and committed person who possesses the skills and qualifications listed, this church offers the chance to use your talents and gifts to serve the Lord and a great group of people who are ready to welcome you.
- The Minister of Discipleship will lead the church in planning, conducting, and evaluating a comprehensive program of Christian education and discipleship
- Participate with the pastor, other church staff, and church lay leadership in setting church policies and directing church programs.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of a comprehensive program for recruiting, training, and motivating qualified lay leaders for Sunday school, Bible studies, and other discipleship programs
- Oversee the education/discipleship program of the church, including selection of curriculum, development of departments, allocation of space, promotion of community within departments, and follow up of visitors and new members
- Oversee the planning and implementation of the Men’s and Women’s Ministry programs and events
- Team with other church staff in planning, overseeing, and evaluating annual church-wide service project
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Pastor
- Report to the Pastor
- Minimum of a 4-year degree from an accredited College or University; M.Div. is preferred
- Demonstrable success in ministry leadership in a thriving church
- A mature Christian who exhibits a consistency of strong character and high integrity
- A strong leader with a servant-leader mentality
- Excel in “connecting” with people and are energized by daily interaction with people; you would be called a ‘people person’
- A self-starter and a multitasker; does not need micromanaging and can successfully prioritize and focus on key objectives
- A go-getter with a strong personality but enjoys working in a collaborative, team environment
- Experience recruiting, training, and mentoring lay leaders
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in both small and large groups
- Must be personally organized with a well-developed “system” of time/work management
- Knowledge of social media, computer skills, use of other education technologies
- Remain up-to-date on current trends in assigned areas of responsibility
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings
Please make sure you meet all requirements and qualifications. If you do and are interested in learning more, please apply here.