In preparation for the XPASTOR conference next week, I’m thinking about how we make the best hiring decisions. How to determine the best fit or match or compatibility.
While there are MANY parts to this discussion/line of thinking, one of the first things we must do is “spec” out the position… Determine things like:
- What “is” the open position?
- Is it the highest priority opening (considering budget)?
- Should the position be filled or put on hold or taken off the org chart?
- Does this position support the mission/vision/values of the organization?
- Is there a job description?
- Is that job description specific enough to qualify candidate and to set goals and objectives once a hire is made?
- Has a profile for the ideal candidate been developed (before considering any candidate either internal or external)?
These are just a few of the questions that should be asked and answered prior to beginning a search… Oftentimes, we let the “vacated position” or candidates we know develop the position which can lead to a lot of pain if we’re not careful.
We need to consider being more dilegent on the front end to prevent making as many mishires…